Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thing 7 Communication

I've been doing IM Reference for a few months at HCL and am comfortable with the medium. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes as I'm typing more information, the customer will log off because they think the transaction is finished. I now try to let them know that I'm still working on the question. Either with a ..., or a hang on a sec, just so they know more is coming.

I had a deaf customer ask me if she could txt the library. I showed her how to chat online through IM Ref. Perhaps Txt messaging is the next step.

I was not aware of the Web Conferencing classes or the OPAL sessions, so this is good information. The Minitex Webinars look helpful. I tried to listen to one of the prerecorded sessions on eaudiobooks, but the program was empty. No slides, no sound.

I'm on the reference and resource group at HCL. We have had 2 meetings at RD. Otherwise, we conduct most of our "meetings" via email, or once through IM Chat. It has been really helpful and a big time saver. It's a really good use of the technology.

No comments: